Every Calgary homeowner falls into one of two categories when it comes to their outside space: either you have a deck, or you dream about having a deck. In either case, you want to make this extra living space truly unique to either drive up the value of your home or to add a sense of luxury to your home life, or both! Here are 10 tips for a truly custom deck:
- Throw some shade – the best way to make your deck truly special is to install a pergola. Whether it’s a free standing structure over the top of your dining area, or an attached pergola that connects to your home, you’ll get some much welcome shade as well as a frame to use as a base for your deck design.
- Get growing – pergolas also give you some vertical elements to play with, and these can be great to grow climbing plants and flowers. There’s nothing like feeling like the garden is blending with your home, and you can create some stunning visuals with the right climbing flowers growing over your pergola.
- Upgrade to railings – another way to bring a feeling of luxury to your deck is to install railings or upgrade your current design. Railings frame your space as well as providing an extra layer of safety for taller decks or families with younger children.
- Build in storage – garden storage is always tricky, especially for those dinnerware items that you don’t want to keep in the kitchen. As you design your custom deck, build in shelves for decorative items and cupboards for those items you want instant easy access to.
- Become a grill master – many Calgary homeowners use their deck as an outdoor cooking space, so if you want to become a grill master, consider a built in barbecue. This will save space and make it feel like you have a fancy outdoor kitchen.
- Find the wow factor – any deck can become extraordinary with the right wow factor design. This might be a water feature, an unusual seating option or an enormous fire pit for your friends and family to gather around.
- Change up the seating – having a variety of seating options is essential for any deck. You want seating for a large gathering to relax together as well as a cosy corner for a romantic night under the stars.
- Connect your house to your yard – your deck creates a bridge from your house to your yard, so bring design elements of both to your deck construction.
- Create contrast – you can create beautiful visual effects by simply changing the angle of the running boards, and choosing a lighter or darker stains for the edging.
- Light it up – finally, you can make use of your pergola to provide some low level lighting options, such as hanging lanterns or fairy lights to make your deck feel truly magical.
Whatever your deck dreams are, our experts here at Desert Sun Patios are ready to help you bring your truly custom deck to life.