Spending time outside during the warm summer months is the number one priority for many Calgary residents. The long winter months keeps everyone cooped up, so it feels imperative to make the most of the heat and sunshine. However, the irony of it all is that the sun and humidity quickly become oppressive if you only have an exposed patio or deck to sit on. Investing in some sort of covering for your outdoor space gives you some reprieve from the worst bits of summer and helps you spend more time outside.
One of the more popular coverings for your outdoor space is a retractable awning. At its most simplistic, this is a fabric covering that you can pull out over your patio when you need it, and retract to store it when you’re done. Some of the benefits of retractable awnings include:
- Lower costs – the mechanics and fabric of most retractable awnings means that they cost considerably less than a permanent patio cover. This simplicity also means you can install a retractable awning in a weekend without much difficulty.
- Flexibility – the retractable part of this cover is a main reason why people choose it. By getting to choose how far out the awning comes, owners get more flexibility about how much of their patio or deck is shaded, and the ability to store it at night can allow for stargazing on clear evenings.
- Easy to replace – finally the fact that the awning is made from fabric means that it’s easy to replace when it eventually reaches the end of its life. This might be due to fading from UV exposure, mold from storm water or rips from strong winds.
A permanent patio cover represents a much better return on investment if you can work out how to finance the project. Patio covers can either be free standing post and beam structures or ones that attach to your home and extend out over your patio. Benefits of patio covers include:
- Durability – most patio covers are made from aluminum or vinyl which means that they’ll stand up to anything that a Calgary summer storm can throw at them. These materials are also hard to damage meaning that there is little to no annual maintenance required.
- Defined space – a patio cover creates a defined space outside and makes it feel like you have an extra room in your house outside. This means you can create an outside dining room, an informal sitting room or just a covered place to lounge and relax.
- Permanent storage – unlike with a retractable awning, your furniture is always under cover so you’ll never get caught out by sudden weather changes. This means you can use your patio for storage of outdoor equipment, from lawn chairs to your grill.
It’s clear to see that a patio cover is a better investment overall, so call Desert Sun Patios to start making the most of the summer months this year.