As a pergola owner, you know the impatience that comes over you as winter starts to wind down. You wake up each morning and rush to the window to see how much of the Calgary snowpack has melted, before opening your weather app to check on the rising temperatures. Each day brings you closer to spring and the first day that you can get out for dinner or drinks under your pergola. This exciting time is also the perfect time to start planning your pergola renovation to upgrade your outdoor space.
As you plan your DIY pergola renovation, there are some quick fixes that you can undertake in that first warm weekend:
- Do a deep clean – the first thing you need to do to be pergola ready for spring is to perform a deep clean. This involves a soapy wash for your pergola, a power spray for your deck or patio underneath, and generally getting rid of the detritus of winter.
- Pick a new stain – if your pergola is made from wood, this is the perfect time to think about picking out a new stain colour. It’s amazing the difference you will see by going two or three shades darker, or going all out with a different coloured stain altogether.
- Change the furnishings – a final quick change is to swap out the fabric on your chairs and cushions underneath your pergola. You could switch from solid patterns to something floral, or keep the same theme and just upgrade to a brighter colour palette.
If you’re looking for a bigger DIY pergola renovation, try one of these longer projects:
- Add a cover – unless you’ve opted to grow plants over the top of your pergola, you can change the dynamic by adding fabric covers in between the crossbars. This will provide you with much needed shade as well as a different colour palette to work with.
- Install lights – you shouldn’t let the early nights stop you from using your pergola in spring. Adding a lighting system will create a more comfortable and romantic feel to your pergola set up, as well as allowing you to use it for longer. If the pergola is near to your home, you can run an extension cable out to the structure, while if it’s further away, solar powered lights can be a great option to light your pergola for free.
- Extend your pergola – a more extensive project is to extend your pergola in one direction. This means buying and installing additional posts and beams, but it will create a longer space for you to relax under. This is a great idea if you like the idea of turning your pergola space into an outside dining area as the longer structure will give you space for a bigger dining table.
Whatever your DIY pergola renovation plan is, start planning early so that you’re ready to make the most out of your pergola this year.