With everyone spending more and more time at home these days, it’s easy to see why house extensions are some of the most popular home improvement projects in the last 18 months. However, there are more options to consider than simply forking out a small fortune for a whole extra room, complete with costly foundations and building materials, and there are many reasons why screen rooms are topping the list of Calgary home improvements.
What is a screen room?
A screen room is a special hybrid construction that allows you to combine the comforts of being inside with the feeling of being sat in your garden. It’s a simple construction of beams and mesh windows that joins to the back of your house, and is lightweight enough that it can be built directly on top of your existing deck or patio. The mesh windows let all the fresh air and sunlight in without any of the bugs and dirt, meaning you can enjoy your extra space in peace.
Why add a screen room this fall?
It’s common to see many screen room projects in spring, as people come out of winter hibernation with dreams of enlarging their living spaces and making the most of the short Calgary summer, but actually there are many reasons why fall is a great season to add a screen room to your home:
- Extend your summer – it’s always a sad day when you have to pack up your patio furniture and officially close the deck as the temperatures start to drop. A screen room allows you to extend your summer by providing a cozy place to spend time outside.
- Protection from the wind – Calgary is one of the windiest cities in Canada, and with the wind comes dirt, debris and bugs. A fall screen room means you can spend time outside without worrying about the dreaded wind and everything that goes blown about with it.
- Easy yard repair – any home extension work is going to mess up your beautiful garden, as you’ll have workers bring materials to the construction site. Given that fall is the best time to do lawn and garden repair and maintenance, installing a screen room in fall allows you to put the groundwork in so your outdoor space looks great for spring.
- Stay fit for winter – the end of summer often means a decrease in activity levels as it’s harder to go walking or biking in the dark and cold. You could turn your screen room into a fall fitness centre to get yourself in fighting shape for winter with a simple exercise bike and yoga mat facing the windows for exercise with a view.
- Protect the plants – finally, a screen room provides an excellent shelter for your potted plants to spend the winter months. They will get plenty of sunshine throughout fall, while the mesh windows and sturdy roof will protect them against the winds, bugs and critters looking for winter food.