After a long winter and a delayed Spring, Calgarians are anxiously awaiting to get outside, fire up the BBQ and enjoy time on the deck or patio with friends and family. With the arrival of summer comes pesky mosquito bites, dinner time flies and night time moths, but don’t get bugged out! These tips will ensure you get the most out of your time on the deck or patio this summer:
Add Plants that keep the bugs away
To enjoy your patio, screen room or deck in Calgary this summer, try strategically placing insect-repelling plants around your space. Not only will they look great, but they will also serve a purpose.
- Basil – Repels house flies, mosquitos and is great for adding in your dinner salad too!
- Lavender – Repels moths, fleas, flies, mosquitoes, is aesthetically pleasing and smells great. You can even add it to fresh homemade goodies too!
- Lemongrass – Repels mosquitoes. You’ve seen citronella candles in stores during the summer and read how citronella will keep mosquitoes away. Citronella is a natural oil found in lemongrass.
- Mint – Repels mosquitoes and tastes great in a nice fresh cold Mojito or Mojito Lemonade.
- Bay Leaves – Repels flies.
Try This Natural DIY Bug Repellant
If your trying to avoid chemicals like DEET and prefer a more natural approach to bug repellant, we found this DIY Bug Repellent Recipe. As indicated on this linked site, please keep the following in mind when considering a DIY Bug Repellant Solution using essential oils:
- As always with essential oils, women who are pregnant or nursing should consult a health practitioner before using.
- Extreme caution should be used when using essential oils on young children.
- Always perform a patch test to check for an allergic reaction before using an essential oil for the first time.
- Always label homemade products well.
- Dark-colored bottles work best for products containing essential oils. Store in a cool, dark place when not using.
See also: The 5 most effective insect repellents
Invest in some Bug Traps
While no technique is 100% effective (other than sitting in a sealed room), hopefully some of these traps can make your summer a more enjoyable one.
Build a Screen Room
Investing in a screen room is a much more effective way to ensure you get the most of your patio or deck this summer. Not only will it keep the bugs out, but offer added protection from the elements, shade from hotter summer days and keep furniture from blowing away or getting dirty. A Calgary screen room offers added privacy from neighbors with the added security of a locked door at night. Ask us how we can transform your outdoor space into the resort-style living dpace you crave and deserve.
Related Post: Benefits of having a Screen Room