As the long glorious summer days draw to a close in Calgary, you can almost feel fall coming in the air; the days start to shorten and the mornings and evenings get touched by a definite chill. The end of summer also signals the end of time outside in your backyard, but for sunroom owners this simply means more time to be spent in their favourite room.
While hanging out in your sunroom is fun at any time of year, fall is a great season to sit and watch the world go by in your garden. take full advantage of these seasonal changes, try some of these backyard inspirations for your sunroom:
- Bring the plants in – having plants inside your sunroom not only gives you extra oxygen and fresh air but it allows you to brighten your space too. Consider plants with hanging leaves to get multi-layered effects.
- Go with the colours – the browns, reds and oranges of the leaves outside should inspire you to get creative with your decorative choices inside. This might be as simple as buying some fall themed cushions or completely repainting the walls to match the colours outside.
- Prepare to get cosy – the cooler fall weather means that you’ll want to snuggle up with your loved ones in the evenings. Some full sized cushions and luscious fluffy blankets will do the trick, as will installing a hot cocoa bar right in your sunroom.
- Keep the screens – just because summer is ending doesn’t mean that you’ll stop wanting the windows open during the day. However the bugs will still be in full force, so keep the window screens in a little longer.
- Add some heat – if you have a three season sunroom, the cooler temperatures can stop you from using your sunroom during fall. A simple electric space heater solves the problem, while a pellet or wood burning stove will be a more efficient and stylish upgrade.
- Think about entertaining – fall marks the start of the party season, with Thanksgiving arriving before you know. Start to plan how to make the most of your extra space for your guests with some fold up furniture and food storage options.
- Update the artwork – another way to be inspired by fall is to have seasonal artwork on the walls. You can match colours or fall imagery to help continue the feeling of an inside outside space.
- Install a mirror – as the days get shorter, natural daylight becomes at a premium. Think about hanging a full length mirror on the internal wall of your sunroom to reflect as much light back into the room.
- Keep on cleaning – your sunroom windows are easily the best feature, but in fall they can start to get dirty with cobwebs and condensation trapping dust and dirt both inside and out. Make sure to keep up with your window washing regime to keep your room sparkling.
- Find some quiet time – finally, it’s not just you who will spend more time inside as fall arrives. The rest of your family will come inside with you, so it’s important to set some sunroom boundaries to make the most of your sunroom this fall with some alone time.