Making the decision to install a sunroom addition to your home is the easy part of this amazing home improvement project. You’ll be amazed at how quickly the work can be completed, especially if you’re building on top of an existing deck or patio and before you know it, your brand new sunroom will be ready to use. The hard part is to make the most of this additional space for you and your family.
The idea of having a whole new room in your house with no defined purpose can feel a little daunting, so here are some common uses for a sunroom addition for your home:
- Playroom – if you have young children, or frequent visitors with young children, you’ll know the pain of trying to keep all the toys and games tidied away when they’re not in use. By giving your sunroom over to a playroom, you can simply close the door on the mess and let your children work out how to manage the upkeep of the space.
- Home office – if you have a job where you are able to work from home, you want to be able to work in peace and quiet, and preferably with a beautiful view. Setting your desk up against one of the big sunroom windows will give you inspirational vistas as well as plenty of natural warmth and sunlight. Just like the playroom, you can simply shut the door at the end of the work day and help to provide that separation between home and work that can be hard to achieve.
- Family room – any quick online search for sunroom decoration tips will show you rooms with multiple couches, armchairs and soft furnishings to allow the whole family to relax together in peace. The abundant sunlight means that sunrooms don’t make for great TV watching spaces, so consider installing a wood burning or pellet stove as a focal point. You could also invest in a large coffee table to host family game nights and impromptu sunroom picnics.
- Guest room – if you are the host of big family get togethers, finding space to put up guests is always the biggest concern. Your sunroom addition will make your visitors feel like they’ve arrived at a luxurious hotel instead of just coming to visit you, and with the right combination of fold out sofa beds and futons, you can easily switch between a living space and guest bedroom in a matter of minutes.
- Home gym – the natural warmth and open views means that your sunroom is an inspiring space to spend time. It can offer you the luxury of having a gym complete with treadmill and work out bench right in the comfort of your own home. For an additional decadent touch, you can set up one corner as a spa treatment area for that all important post workout self-care regime.
Whatever use you find for your sunroom addition, you’ll find that it not only adds joy to your life but will dramatically increase the overall value of your home. However, once you’ve started using your new sunroom, you may never want to sell!