The best part about owning a sunroom is the complete freedom that comes with the extra room in your home. Unlike all the other rooms which have dedicated purposes, a sunroom acts like a bonus space for you to use as you see fit. Whether you choose to use it as a secondary sitting room, a formal dining room or even a home gym, you can have some decorating your sunroom in Calgary. Here are 5 fun decorating ideas to get you started to move beyond the traditional wicker couches:
- Sleek and modern – you can create an ultra modern looking space by investing in chrome and glass tables and sideboards. Then consider recessed lighting for the ceiling coupled with copper lamp fixtures on the walls and strip lighting under any cabinets to provide a variety of modern lighting options. Finally, find eclectic seating options to complete the transition to a futuristic sitting room that will have your friends and family coming round for more.
- Bring the outside in – if you’re into your houseplants, your sunroom makes for the perfect live in greenhouse. The big windows bring in plenty of light, and the room is naturally insulated to keep the temperature and humidity high for those tropical plants. Consider some standing pots by the windows to create a jungle effect, and hanging planters with trailing leaves to get more green coverage and bring the garden into your sunroom.
- Thrift store remodel – sunroom decorating can feel like an expensive hobby, but you can create a truly unique design by hitting up the furniture section of your local thrift stores. Make sure that you check over the furniture for internal damage before you invite people to sit on it. Don’t be put off by garish patterns or designs as it’s relatively easy and cost effective to buy your own fabric and re-upholster pieces that match the size and space of your sunroom.
- Hidden hi-tech – the common perception of a sunroom is one of simplistic beauty, but that doesn’t stop you from bringing some hidden technology to upgrade your room. You’ll firstly want to install a wifi or mesh extender to bring the internet into your sunroom, and you’ll thank yourself for hiding USB charging ports in the arms of your couches or under the floorboards. For an extra special touch, hang a piece of artwork in front of a flatscreen TV so you can secretly watch your shows without having the device on permanent display.
- Flexible furniture – finally, you can bring some fun and flexibility into your Calgary sunroom with clever furniture choices. At a basic level this might mean opting for a futon or a sofa bed so you convert between living room and bedroom at a moment’s notice. A more creative choice might be an ottoman that unfolds into a dining table, or a modular couch system that you can reconfigure to change the purpose of the room.